Braces for Adults in the Bay Area
Orthodontic treatment is not just for teens. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists tells us that over 20% of orthodontic patients are over the age of 21. The team at Harper Orthodontics is finding this to be true for the Martinez and surrounding communities.
Many adults in the Bay Area are opting for braces now because “it’s about time” to correct issues that affect their appearance, confidence and general well-being. Our adult patients frequently tell us “I wish I made the leap earlier” — we’re just glad they’re doing what makes them happy!
Common reasons why adults are considering braces:
- A bad bite alignment, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Teeth are too crowded or spaced apart, possibly leading to rapid tooth decay or gum disease
- Desire for a healthier mouth
- Seeking to have a brighter smile
Treatment Options for Adults
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment. However, today’s orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs. Types of braces include:
- Self-ligating braces both metal and ceramic (clear braces)
- Invisible braces – Invisalign
- Traditional metal braces
The difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens:
The main difference between treating adults and children or teens is that the jawbones of younger patients are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may change your orthodontic treatment options. Contact our treatment specialist for more info.
Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Dr. Harper will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatments, and that your needs are met with understanding and respect.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment now?
- Technology has improved — You don’t need to wear those clunky metal braces kids did when you were growing up… unless you want to!
- More cost-effective options — Over the years, costs have gone down. There are also more financing and insurance coverage options than ever before.
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term health issues costing you more in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact our practice with any questions or schedule an appointment today. We understand that you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.